Located at the heart of Minneapolis, Nicollet Island is the only inhabited island on the Mississippi River. This forty-eight-acre wonderland is a bucolic refuge, hiding right under the nose of Downtown. Many don't even notice it as they drive over the Hennepin Avenue bridge to Northeast Minneapolis on the East Bank of the Mississippi, but it contains many marvelous secrets including the Nicollet Island Inn, the Nicollet Island Pavillion, DeLaSalle High School, twenty-two historic Victorian-era homes, and acres of park land and trails for jogging, biking, walking, and any number of activities. To learn more visit the History page.
Nicollet Island began as one of the rougher parts of Minneapolis and St. Paul. It was downtown with grainmills and railyards. Now the houses that are there are historic and well-kept. Be sure to tour Merriam Street where you may catch a ride on a horsedrawn carriage.
The highlight of Nicollet Island has to be the Nicollet Island Inn. The Inn was originally the Island Door and Sash Company in 1893. When that company closed down, the building was used by the mill companies and a shelter for the Salvation Army. In 1970’s it was converted to the Nicollet Island Inn. Now the Inn features 24 guestrooms of period decoration and furniture, a 150 year-old bar, and an award-winning menu.